Kaufman & Robinson incorporates updated design features into the traditional Kaufman (KDC) ion source technology. KRI’s new KDC product line brings advancements such as self-aligned ion optics and modern switch mode power supplies. These benefits have led to more productive, reliable, and less costly Kaufman gridded ion source products. The Kaufman (KDC) product line consists of an ion source portfolio which spans a variety of physical sizes and performance specifications.
Kaufman & Robinson offers a comprehensive Kaufman (KDC) product package. The package is complete with components required to install and operate the KDC products, including the Kaufman (KDC) ion source, application-specific ion optics, electron source neutralizer, power supply controller, vacuum feedthroughs, and cables.
Our KDC products are used across the globe in world-class research and industrial fabrication of optical, photonics, magnetic, and microelectronic devices. The KDC packages are configurable to suit installation platforms. These configurations can be integrated into numerous vacuum process platforms, including bell jar systems, small multi-purpose R&D systems, dedicated planetary motion deposition or etching systems, box coaters, single wafer load-lock cluster tools, web coaters, rotary, low profile sputtering systems, and in-line coaters.
The KDC products are applied in standard and emerging material processes. The ability to work at the atomic level makes the KDC products effective tools to engineer films and surfaces with nanometer precision. Whether its density compaction, stress control, optical transmission, resistivity, smooth interfaces, improved adhesion, vertical sidewalls, and critical etch depths, the KDC products are responsible for yielding beneficial material properties. Commonly, the KDC products are applied in the many vacuum processes:
- Ion beam assisted deposition in thermal and e-beam evaporation (IBAD)
- In-situ preclean in sputtering and evaporation (PC)
- Surface modification and activation (SM)
- Direct deposition of thin, hard, or functional coatings (DD)
- Ion beam sputter deposition of single and multilayer structures (IBSD)
- Ion beam etching of surface features in any material (IBE)
- Ion beam trimming, tuning, and figuring of precision devices (IBE)
- Ion beam polishing for microscopy sample preparation (IBP)